Creamy Pesto Risotto with Asparagus & Peas
Yield: 30 stuffed mushrooms
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 180 g container Creamy Pesto Fauxmage
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 5 – 6 cups veg stock
- a squeeze of fresh lemon
- S & P
1. Cut woody ends from asparagus, discard, then cut remaining asparagus into ½ to 1 inch pieces. Place on a sheet pan, drizzle with a bit of the olive oil, season with s & p, and roast in a 425 F oven for about 10 minutes or until the asparagus looks bright green. They should still have a bit of a bite to them and not be completely soft. Set aside.
2. Add vegetable stock to a small pot and heat, then keep hot over low heat while you start the risotto.
3. Add remaining olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic & season with S & P. Cook until softened.
4. Add arborio rice to the pan, stir around to coat with oil until rice is translucent. About 5 minutes. Season with S & P.
5. Deglaze the pan with white wine, stir and let it reduce.
6. Now add a ladle full of hot vegetable stock and stir continuously until the liquid has been absorbed.
Repeat step 6 with consecutive additions of stock until about ¾ of the stock has been used (takes about 25 minutes), then try the rice to see whether enough liquid has been absorbed. The grains should be tender but not mushy. (You might have some stock leftover). When the rice is almost ready, proceed to step 8. The rice should be loose with a bit of liquid still in the pan. You don’t want the risotto to be stiff and dry at this point (or ever). It should be fluid but creamy.
7. Turn heat down to medium low, add fauxmage, frozen peas and asparagus and stir into the rice until the fauxmage is melted and the veggies are hot. Taste and season with more salt and pepper and a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice. If you need to add a bit more stock to loosen the rice a bit you can.
8. Serve straight away.